Click on this link to check the park’s calendar.
Archive for June, 2010
It is an honor and privilege to be able to commemorate our nation’s freedom at the site of one of the most significant battles in the war for our country’s independence. Come out to the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park this July 4th to celebrate and participate in a day full of activities and ceremony. Demonstrations of colonial life, the playing of colonial music, walking tours of the battlefield, and artillery firing demonstrations are a part of the scheduled activities.
Ceremonies honoring the signers of the Declaration of Independence representing North Carolina are always memorable and colorful. Two of the three signers, William Hooper and John Penn, are buried in the park
So take time this year to honor these founders of our nation and have a great time while you are doing so. You will be glad you did.
For a schedule of events , open the link below.
Date: 6/26/2010, 6/27/2010
Time: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Location: Colonial Heritage Center (Formerly Tannenbaum Park)
On Saturday and Sunday, June 26-27, the men and women of the Guilford Militia, an organization of dedicated Revolutionary War history enthusiasts, will be presenting a variety of interpretive programs. Clad in replica Revolutionary War clothing and carrying the firearms of 1781 they will portray the life of the 1780s soldier and camp follower.
The public is invited to visit with them in their re-created 1781 camp on the Hoskins farm at the Colonial Heritage Center ( Tannenbaum Park site )
from 10 AM until 4 PM each day.
For more information call:336-288-1776
For pics of the event click on the link below.
Today, June 1st, the Guilford Battleground Company closed on the sale of a 1.86 acre site to the National Park Service. The property located at the corner of Battleground Av, Hwy 220, and British Lakes Dr. was purchased by the GBC from private ownership in November 2008. It has been held until funding for the Park Service to acquire it was approved.
This transaction makes a total of 14.2 acres which the GBC has assisted the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park in acquiring. It is part of the GBC’s mission to preserve land where an historic battle for our nation’s freedom was fought. Partnering with the GBC in The Land Purchase Project have been Piedmont Land Conservancy, The Weaver Foundation, Carolina Bank, Community Foundation of Greater Greensboro, Tannenbaum Sternberger Foundation, and the Joseph M Bryan Foundation.
At its annual meeting in May, the GBC elected the following as new officers and directors for 2010-11 year.
President- Frank Mascia
Vice-Presidents- Bill Lancaster, Dan O’Shea, Andrew Howle
Secretary- Jim Plyler
Treasurer- Mitchell Hunt
Asst. Treasurer- Rose Marie Ponton
These officers along with Jim Kirkpatrick, Honorary Chairman, will serve as the Executive Committee.
Newly elected Directors are John MacRae and Charles Porter. They will begin their three year terms of office in June as will Dan McAlister who was recently elected to the Board.