The Guilford Battleground Company has just published Guide to the MONUMENTS Guilford Courthouse National Military Park written by Dr Scott Culclasure. The guide organizes descriptions of the monuments into sections that correspond to the three American defensive lines around which the battle was fought. Each section begins with a brief explanation of the fighting in that area. Photographs of each monument illustrate the book and a map by Dave Wasserboehr provides the location of each monument in the park.
“Fought at a backcountry village on March 15, 1781, the Battle of Guilford Court House was one of the most intense engagements of the American Revolutionary War and proved decisive in the high-stakes Southern Campaign of 17801. After winning a dubious victory, British general Lord Cornwallis abandoned North Carolina and moved his forces into Virginia—with ruinous consequences seven months later at Yorktown—leaving American commander Nathanael Greene free to embark on a successful campaign to liberate the Carolinas. For years afterward, the battlefield’s woods and fields lay neglected, until Judge David Schenck organized the Guilford Battle Ground Company in 1887 to purchase land for preservation. Those early years witnessed the building of the park’s first museum and the placing of monuments on the battlefield. The property was deeded to the federal government in 1917 in recognition of its national significance. Since 1933, the National Park Service has worked to preserve both the battlefield and the knowledge represented by the park’s monuments. This book is a guide to the park’s monuments and memorials, describing their background and how they fit into the larger story of the battlefield’s preservation.”
Scott P. Culclasure teaches at the American Hebrew Academy in Greensboro, North Carolina. Among his publications are The Past as Liberation from History and a work of Southern history he co-edited, The Confessions of Edward Isham: A Poor White Life of the Antebellum South. Since his own school days, Scott has also volunteered at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, where on many summer afternoons he can be found leading guided walks across this Revolutionary War battlefield.
The book is available in the Eastern National bookstore located in the park Visitor Center and the Gift Shop of the Greensboro Historical Museum. Dr. Culclasure will be signing this book at the Visitor Center from 2:00 pm-4:00pm on Saturday, November 14. ISBN 978-0-692-50033-0
Read Full Post »
GREENSBORO, NC – Today, Guilford Courthouse National Military Park and Guilford Battleground Company announced they were the joint recipients of a 2015 National Park Service Centennial Challenge Grant. These Centennial Challenge Grants are part of a multi-year effort to prepare for the National Park Service Centennial in 2016. The NPS Centennial Grant Program includes $26 million for restoration projects at national parks around the country, including $16 million from non-governmental partners. In the National Park Service’s Southeast Region, this grant program will fund 25 separate projects totaling over $3 million dollars. The Guilford Courthouse project will involve updating the museum exhibits at the Colonial Heritage Center to make them interactive and more relevant to park visitors.
The Colonial Heritage Center
“The Centennial Challenge Program is a great way to leverage federal dollars,” said Guilford Courthouse NMP Superintendent Doyle Sapp. “We believe once completed the improved exhibits will result in an increased understanding of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse and the people who lived, fought, and died here. We want to thank the Guilford Battleground Company for their support. Without our friends and partners, this project would not have gone forward.”
“We are very pleased to have this opportunity to revitalize the Colonial Heritage Center,” said Ed Deaton, President of the Guilford Battleground Company. Deaton also wanted to thank the Tannenbaum-Sternberger Foundation which generously provided a grant in the amount of $200,000 to the Guilford Battleground Company which is being used for this project. The Foundation has been a longtime supporter of the Colonial Heritage Center and its mission of teaching how people lived in the 1780’s here in Piedmont North Carolina and their connection to the Battle. The upgrades will take advantage of new audio visual techniques to make the story more appealing to today’s youth.
The Guilford Battleground Company is the official friends’ group and fundraising partner of Guilford Courthouse NMP. Its primary mission is to promote and preserve the National Military Park as well as take every opportunity to teach the public about its significance. This upgrade of the Center will add to the public’s knowledge and understanding of what took place here on March 15, 1781.
In order to qualify for a Centennial Challenge Grant, projects needed to demonstrate that they provided for authorized activities that benefited one or more National Park System areas, contributed towards at least one of the Director’s Call to Action goals, required little or no additional recurring NPS operating or maintenance funds to be sustainable, did not include the construction of new facilities; and have partner(s) who were ready, willing, and able to contribute at least 50% of the project. Once submitted, projects that were highly evaluated included more than a 1:1 match, impacted multiple parks, included a contribution to Centennial goals, particularly youth engagement, and addressed high priority deferred maintenance needs.
The Centennial Challenge Grants are part of a multiyear effort to prepare for the 2016 Centennial of the National Park Service including the Find Your Park Campaign which connects a broader audience to public lands, and President Obama’s Every Kid in a Park initiative that will give every fourth grader and their families free access to national parks and all federal lands and waters for a full year, beginning this Fall.
Read Full Post »
See the results of our work!!!
Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, A Revolutionary War Battleground, will be opening a new temporary exhibit in the Visitor Center at 2332 New Garden Road. The Exhibit- Beyond the Battle will run from Saturday, September 14 through Saturday, October 26, 2013 from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM daily.
The exhibit includes artifacts found by the archaeologists and students and looks into the remote sensing and archaeological methods used during the Field School at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park in Spring/Summer 2011. The Field School was a partnership between the National Park Service, the Guilford Battleground Company, and the University of North Carolina, Greensboro.
The archaeological investigation looked to find the actual site of the historic Courthouse for which this Revolutionary War battle was named. Additional objectives included definitively locating the 3id line of Battle where the American Continental Soldiers faced the troops of General Cornwallis in the last action of the battle; and finding out more information on the historic town of Martinville which was located on the site for a short time after the battle.
The public is invited to come and see this free exhibit to learn about the battle, research methods in archaeology and remote sensing, and see why preserving our heritage is so important..
Read Full Post »
At their March 1 meeting, the Guilford County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution in remembrance of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse and declared the week of March 12 – March 18, 2012 as “The Battle of Guilford Courthouse Week.” The resolution was presented by Commissioner Paul Gibson. Accepting the resolution were Frank Mascia , President of the Guilford Battleground Company; Maureen Hartigan, Executive Director of the GBC; and Charles Cranfield, Superintendent of Guilford Courthouse National Military Park.
The Guilford Battleground Company and Guilford Courthouse NMP appreciate this recognition by officials of Guilford County of this significant battle of the American Revolution fought in and around the original site of the Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781.
CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO OF PRESENTATION.
Read Full Post »
Bill Lancaster, Carolyn Allen, Charles Cranfield, Maureen Hartigan, Mayor Robbie Perkins, and Dan O'Shea
The City Council of Greensboro adopted a resolution declaring the week of March 12-18 (Monday-Sunday) 2012 as “The Battle of Guilford Courthouse Week.” The resolution was passed by the council in recognition of the critical battle of the American Revolution which was fought at Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781. After the reading and unanimous vote of the council approving the resolution, Mayor Robbie Perkins presented the resolution to Guilford Battleground Company Executive Director, Maureen Hartigan; GBC Vice- presidents, Bill Lancaster and Dan O’Shea; GBC board member, Carolyn Allen; and Guilford Courthouse National Military Park Superintendent, Charles Cranfield. The resolution was initiated by the GBC and adopted by the City Council reaffirming the significance of the battle and its reenactment each year to the City of Greensboro.
Click here to read the resolution.
Read Full Post »
A new installation in the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park enables visitors to use their cell phones to hear recorded messages about the battle as they tour the battlefield. The seven tour stops where the call boxes are located are shown on map in the link below. The messages are two to three minutes in length and describe the action that took place in the area where the call box is located.
Making that call
This battle guide is free, but you must use your own cell service and minutes. So next time you are going to the park be sure to take your cell phone and try this easy way to discover information about the action in this significant battle of the American Revolution which was fought right where you will be standing.
Click here to access Cell Phone Audio Tour FLYER
Click here to access Cell Phone Audio Tour MAP
Read Full Post »
Its early in the analysis of the findings from the archaeological dig at the GCHNMP, and “no” the old courthouse has not been located, yet. But some interesting discoveries have been made. (See previous Posting) Several footings were unearthed including the one in the photo. Much of this site was excavated by Rachel Smith and Rebecca Lowe
Rachel Smith and Rebecca Lowe at footing they have excavated
Dr. Linda Stine, leader of the archaeological team of students from UNCG, reports that among the items unearthed “we found a lovely fragment of clear goblet base, probably cut glass; a fragment of olive green bottle glass (both most likely 18th century); a handful of early hand-made wrought nails and some small fragments of ceramics (1780-1830 etc.). ”
The major purpose of this expedition is to locate the site of the Guilford Courthouse building which was extant at the time of the battle. Other information gleaned from the study will contribute to our knowledge of the area during that period.
Old Foundation excavated
This archaeological study is financed in part by a contribution from the Guilford Battleground Company. The GBC appreciates the financial support of its members and other contributors which allows the GBC to fund this significant historical research in the park. As additional information on the dig becomes available, we will report in News and Notes.
Read Full Post »